Thursday, August 25, 2005

Yipee, I'm almost catching up with current time.
~~~
Aug 21
Sunday brunch at Appel's is heavenly. There was century egg porridge and siew mai and ha kao! Omigosh! I took one large large bowl of porridge and a plateful of siew mai and ha kao. Yummy :)
Cherlyn and I went over to Denise's room after brunch where we played taitee until 3. Her room got feng shui. Must sit on the couch or the chair to win. Guess where I was sitting hee. (The couch of course!)
We went back to our room to do the laundry. It actually doesn't take a long time. The washing is 35 mins and drying in the dryer takes 1 hour or less. But it's not cheap. Each use of the machine cost $1.25 so between the 2 of us, we've already spent $5 doing a week's worth of laundry. Maybe can consider doing laundry once a fortnight haha.
The four of us met up again to go for the meeting with our faculty advisors. It turned out to be pretty irrelevant for us because the briefing was tailored for the transfer students, those who enter Cornell after 1 or 2 years in another academic institute. We were utterly bored while the other students fired away questions about how many credits to fulfill, what order to take the subjects in, advance placement tests etc. I did however wake up when they talked about undergraduate research. Unfortunately, when we approached the prof later to clear our doubts, she said that it'll probably be quite hard for us because we are only going to be here for one semester. Quite unlikely that we can find a faculty member who is willing to take us up for such a short period of time. Sigh.
There was a welcome dinner by Singapore Students' Association (SSA) at the same time as our advisor meeting. Sad to say, by the time the meeting ended, so had the dinner, so I missed Anna again. Double sigh. We headed to Appel's for late night bubble tea session. Over here, they call the pearls "tapioca". Well they aren't wrong in saying that cos it is made of tapioca but when the cashier asked me if I wanted "tapioca in my tea", I had the mental image of a huge piece of tapioca in my drink, like porridge with sweet potato. Think Mom will understand :) Anyway, we spent the rest of the night there drinking our bubble tea and playing more taitee. Went back to room at 11.30pm.
~~~
Aug 22
Happy birthday Kor! Yup my big brother's birthday and he's celebrating it all the way in Perth, Australia. Glad to know that your friends are throwing you a birthday bash, that's just awesome! Kor is a happy-go-lucky guy with a sunny personality and a great sense of humour. Keep it that way kor! Miss you lots too!
We went to Gannett for our Mantoux test. *insert scary music* Okay I'm not that terrified of injections, it's just a minor discomfort to me. When it was my turn, the nurse told me that I didn't have to take the jab. Whoopee! Turns out that since I've already had a positive result for the Matoux test I took in Sec 4, I'll still have a positive result when tested again so it's quite pointless. She handed me this pamphlete about latent TB infection (LTBI) which I might have a 5 to 10% chance of having. What it basically means is that I MIGHT have the dormant bacteria inside my body but I'm healthy and will not pass the bacteria to anyone while it's still dormant. I'm pretty sure I'm fine but I had to take an X-ray (again one of their policies) and arrange for an appointment with Mr. Nurse who will tell me more about LTBI and whether I want to take medication for it. Right. Well at least I didn't get poked at. And Mr. Nurse MIGHT be cute. Hee. Well of course the rest of them were jealous cos I didn't get poked. *grin*
We wanted to explore the clock tower and the art museum but they were both closed. So we went back to Cherlyn's and my room at Balch where we played more taitee.

No comments: