Thursday, August 25, 2005

Aug 23
We met at Balch again and later headed off to explore the clock tower. Turns out that we can only enter the tower when it chimes. It was a long climb up this very narrow staircase to reach the top of the clock tower. But the view was breathtaking. It was worth every step we took. The tower is about 9 storeys tall and there are several bells on the top, along with this organ-like contraption. The chimemaster told us that auditions will be held in spring if we are interested to chime the bells. Think they actually have to come up with original compositions to qualify.
We dropped by Teagles Hall where the Physical Education course sign-up was held at. We were keen on taking up swing dance but the classes were full. Skating was our next choice but it clashed with our lessons. Denise wanted to take up fencing but it clashed with her lessons too. I saw the booth for shooting and archery. The courses were all full except for the course on handgun. But it costs a whooping $200. *deflated balloon sound* I didn't sign up naturally... but the longing for the grip of a pistol... sorry I must sound mental *grin*. Yup so we left without signing up for anything. So sad.
We went back to our respective rooms, then met up again at Denise's room for a meeting to plan what we intend to do for the next 4 months i.e. the places we intend to travel to, shopping trips etc. But we basically lack necessary info to plan decisively so we are all now on recon mission heh. And also on a make-friends mission, especially people living in Boston or Philadelphia, to solve our accomodation problems. Damn despicable right? *devil's horns sticking out, waves pitchfork around*
Then we crashed the HILC games night downstairs and boy I hadn't had so much fun for a very long time. We played this game called Monster. 2 groups compete against each other to do what the gamemaster says. Like for example if the gamemaster calls out "5 feet, 2 hands", then each group can only have that number of body parts on the ground. So we were constantly trying to find ways to "elevate" ourselves, like piggy-back, or lying on top of one another. Ok piling on top of one another. We played with 7 in a team and it was so much fun. And we laugh until our stomachs ached because of all the funny positions everyone was in. Cherlyn and I left for Balch at midnight (damn cold! Brrrr...). On our way back, a drunk guy almost collided into her. We didn't think he was drunk at first when he was walking towards us at a distance, but when I noticed him walking very unsteadily and swinging from one side of the pavement to the other, I got suspicious. Anyway, with some careful manouvering, we managed to side-step him. Think he's actually quite good-looking, with washboard abs (cos his shirt and jacket were unbuttoned), but drunk? Nah, not for me. Drunk guys are such a put-off.
~~~
Aug 24
Alright, I've caught up with present time. Everyone give me a round of applause! Yay!
Today is the start of add/drop period so me and roomie woke up at 6.30am to add and drop subjects. Which was really hard to do (the waking up) after all that strenuous exercise and acrobatics last night. At first server was very slow, so after 15 mins, I gave up waiting and went back to sleep. I set my alarm for half an hour later. When I woke up, still no change in server condition so I gave up and went back to sleep until 8.30. I had better luck then, managed to get into the website. Then the error page popped up, telling me that I'm not allowed to add/drop and I should approach my faculty advisor. Aw man... wake up early for nothing lor...
~~~
Er no this isn't about my amazing ability. Sorry to those who derive much entertaintment at my expense. Well anyway this is about our attached bathroom. Yup my room has an attached bathroom which until yesterday had this really huge water stain which was quite icky to step on but bo pian must tread on it to get into the tub to shower. Then it started to dry up miraculously, just like the even huger stain outside at the corridor. Anyway, although we have this great convenience, we realised that facilities (that's what they call the cleaning department here) weren't going to clean it for us. So we were running really low on toilet paper. Luckily for us, when we left the room to meet Jowyn and Denise at about 9.30am, we saw the trolley that the cleaning people push around and there were toilet rolls on it. Think you can guess what we did next. *grin*
~~~
The 3 of them had to go for the follow-up after the Mantoux test. Poor Denise had to take the X-ray too but unfortunately for her, Mr Nurse didn't have a free slot for consultation until after September so she'll have to call them at a later date to make an appointment. We headed to Uris Library, which housed the "Harry Potter Library". Think I posted a picture of it in one of my earlier posts. Anyway, this time I got a good look at it and explored all 3 levels of it. It's really gorgeous. We made our way to the top most floor where we took a break. Break meaning taking out the cards to play taitee. Yes I'm incorrigible. We all are.
We went to Stimson Hall to look for our faculty advisor, Bonnie Comella. She wasn't in her office when we arrived, but just as luck have it, she returned when we were about to leave. She calls the four of us "the pack from Singapore" without any malice of course. She's a really great person, and she really understands the situation we are in as exchange students so we're really glad to have her as our advisor. She settled the problem with our add/drop, then we proceeded to the comp lab downstairs for a furious one hour of adding and dropping.
Ok it wasn't furious. It was just tedious, especially since I was trying to add Biostats. The lecture was constantly full. I think after about 1 hour of trying, I finally managed to squeeze myself into the class so yay to me again. Yup at least everything is settled. I didn't really post this, but all the nights I've taken to write these posts for my blog, half of the time I was also multi-tasking, trying to settle my timetable and subjects. Yup now I sort of know how the NUS people feel, but I think they still have it worse cos of the bidding. To my NTU frens in SBS, be glad. Be real glad.
Yup so now I've finished my post for tonight. Well more or less. I guess my posts in the future will not record so much of what I did during the day but maybe more of what I feel and think etc. Afterall my "vacation" has officially ended with the start of lessons. Oh well I guess it's high time I start hitting the books. I'm like one whole month behind my peers back at NTU so better start using my grey matter ha.

No comments: