Monday, September 05, 2005

I just crawled out of bed not too long ago. Why? You shall see...
Well anyway, this post is meant for yesterday's (Saturday's) events, sinced I was too tired to even sit up straight last night. In the morning, we went to check out the Commons again. Found this shop that sells second-hand clothing. Saw branded stuff in good condition, going for like $3 to $15. Now that's tempting. Will go back there again, when I have more time. Will go back there too, if I decide to sell some clothes away, so I have less to bring back.
Then we had Paintball. Important Equation: Paintball = PAINball. This was an SSA organised activity, we had ~37 Singaporeans playing, the largest turnout ever, so we had a MechEngineers vs EveryoneElse kind of grouping (which was 13 vs 24 or something likedat) Yesh the Mechies were severely outnumbered but they were all guys (save one) who underwent NS training so that really makes a difference. Paintball is, simply put, like a war game. Each person is equipped with a protective mask and a gun that has a compressed air cylinder attached. The "bullets" are not so small, spherical balls of paint. They WILL bruise when they hit you, I've got 5 lovely bruises to show off if anyone's interested. And they hurt, really hurt. So most of the time, you're out when you get hit once. No point putting you through additional pain. But the best thing to do is to declare really loudly that you're out, otherwise some enemies might continue shooting you because they think that they missed.
There are many ways to play the game. Each one typically lasts 15 mins. The first one we played was elimination. Teams start at opposite ends of the playing field (which is actually a piece of jungle) and try to eliminate the opposing team. I managed not to get hit, but neither did I fire a single shot so... The second was Castle Keep. The opposing team was defending this structure and we had to attack and try to grab or touch the flag. This time, I managed a few rounds, but I seriously don't think I hit anyone because I couldn't even see anyone. I just fired at the castle periodically to keep them on their toes and distract them while our other group went round to the back to take them out. The third one was a hunter-prey game. My team had 60 seconds to conceal ourselves before the other team came in to "hunt" us down. I lasted until 2 mins before the game ended when I saw an enemy. I fired first but missed (argh!) so he got me.
After that, the referees (also the people who run the place) introduced us to another form: Speedball. The playing field is much smaller, there aren't many obstacles, so it's really a lot of dashing and dodging and pure guts. There were 9 girls so we had a 4 vs 5 game. I'm glad to say that Anna and I were on the same team. I'd hate to shoot her. However, we were the 4 person team. Yup so we lost. But it was real fun. Speedball is 10 times more exciting. The Jungle warfare kind is just more suspense and really makes you sweat in anticipation of where your enemy will attack you. We went back in for another round of Castle Keep where I was the first to be taken out. Boo hoo. Then we had one final round of Speedball, this time mixed guys and girls, and I sustained 3 of my 5 bruises on my back because someone crept up behind me and shot me at very close range. I don't hate him or anything la, it's part of the game, but oh my it really really hurt. And that game being the last game of the day, you won't be out if you get shot at just once, you have to declare yourself dead. So some garang guys (or maybe just purely thick-skinned) keep getting shot at but carry on cheong-ing forward. I not so thick-skin, so I surrender. Tak boleh tahan.
We went for a late night anime screening. Ok I more or less dragged the other 3 with me. The jap anime club was showing Princess Mononoke, by the same artist who brought to us Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. So when I finally came back at 12.30am this morning, I auto-pilot to my bed and went to dreamland.
So now for birthday dedications:
~~~
Dad! Happy Birthday! Dad's born on 3rd September, which makes me one day late in wishing him happy birthday. I sent a card from USA, hope he receives it soon.
Adila! Happy Birthday too! Adila is one cool chick, fabulous dancer, famous for her pet phrase "jangan tension" which means to stay cool anyway. Hope you read this blog, or hope someone will tell you to read this blog hee. Hope to see you soon!
~~~
I'm going off for more grocery shopping in a couple of minutes, then there's a soccer match in the evening which I'm going as a spectator. Then tonight must piah homework le... There goes the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, then it is only a shooting game and not a ball game ah? hehe... i got mislead by the name of the game