Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Over the weekend, I went on a hiking trip to Gunung Stong in Kelantan, Malaysia. Dear Yali, who was the trip IC, invited me sometime in March but I turned her down at first cos I didn't know anyone else on the trip. Later, some of my tutorial group mates expressed interest in the trip too so I signed up for it. I'm glad I did. I rediscovered the fun of trekking up a mountain, pitching tents and field-cooking heh. Besides having marvellous trip ICs, I was lucky to have a very energetic guide and tons of fun people on the trip too.

We took an overnight train on Friday to reach Dabong in Kelantan on Saturday morning. After breakfast, we explored 2 caves. We then started to hike up the mountain, eating a mobile lunch along the way. The climb up was torturous but the waterfalls made the climb worthwhile. Waterfalls are so fun! I remember sliding down 2 waterfalls and going underneath 1 of them. Although the water was cold, it was incredibly refreshing. We spent the night out in tents. Before we went to sleep, the guide predicted rain in the morning so we were furiously water-proofing all our belongings and were prepared to dash for the shelter if the rain was heavy. Luckily, the rain fell lightly so we had a peaceful night.

In the morning, we had pancakes for breakfast haha. Yali's idea actually but well now I know that it is possible to have a tasty breakfast out in the wild. The original plan for Sunday morning was to hike up to the summit but that plan was canceled because it takes 5 hours to reach the top and another 5 hours to descend back to the base camp and we didn't have the time to do that. So we had a leisurely breakfast before setting off on a short hike to another part of the waterfall and playing with more water heh. At 3pm, we striked down our tents, compressed the garbage and by 4pm, we were making our way down Gunung Stong. We had dinner at the small kopitiam beside the train station and after that, we just sat around and chatted or watch World Cup on TV. The train arrived at 10.45pm and once again, we spent the night on the train.

Yup so it was a short trip but full of memorable and hilarious stuff. I'll post some pictures as soon as I kop them from someone :)

No comments: