Thursday, November 17, 2005

10 Random things
1. I found 18 degrees celsius to be warm.
2. I had a guest lecturer on Monday for my Plagues and People class. Topic: SARS in Singapore. A very enlightening and refreshing lesson. Gained much insight into what people thought of Singapore.
3. Over the course of a week, I've watched Saw, The Grudge, How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, Pirates of Carribean, Panic Room, Two Week's Notice and Supersize Me.
4. 1 bagel = 5 slices of bread.
5. I like bagels.
6. Current favourite song is "We didn't go to Harvard" by the Cayuga Waiters, an a capella group in school.
7. Cornell's long-time rival is (of course) Harvard.
8. When it gets too cold, my ears ache. And that is really uncomfortable.
9. I no longer want to work in WHO.
10. I need rebonding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heyhey Jyin,

Yes ears ache in the cold, awfully. Wear beanie/ear muffs/headwarmer band. In fact I'm so bad with the cold that I'm perpetually in my trademark beanie (and yes I do wash it pretty often).

Welcome to the bane of studying in a cold country! On one hand, if you're feeling perpetually cold, take heart in the fact that it probably means you're not naturally insulated enough :) ie. on the lower end of the body fat scale!

On the other hand, nobody likes to gain weight... you should see me, or at least the figure on my weighing scale, seriously. Feeling cold = feeling hungry... so try to keep warm. Layering lots helps more than piling on jackets that make you look like MichelinMan :)

And the layers only trap as much heat as you produce so people with low metabolic rate like me have a problem (read: not much heat produced + gain weight easily). Where's Shuyi the radiator when you need her :) Yup after a while the novelty of the cold wears off doesn't it.

Winter is confusing for the body clock yes :) The sun sets at 4.30pm here and I keep getting sleepy at around 8pm! Plus English weather is being typically dreary and drizzly = rather depressing. Bah. Doesn't help that my housemates don't talk much, always get monosyllabic replies to anything :(

Anyhow, will see you back home, yup? Take care :) - Zn

post-script: I found the best way of acclimatising back to Singapore weather is just to go about your usual routine back home from the moment you touchdown (ie. if you sleep with only fan no aircon, then do so, etc). Don't know if it'll work for you - and your hair! :)