Tuesday, November 08, 2005

"Singaporeans Host Cookoff: Diverse foods draw in crowds"--By Xiaowei Cathy Tang, The Cornell Daily Sun.
Approximately 200 people converged yesterday evening in The Straight’s Memorial Room for Makanmania, an annual food and culture dinner hosted by the Singaporean Student Association (SSA).
The night of “food-mania,” as Makanmania translates, featured 23 different entrees as well as Singaporean games and singing by SSA members.
Don't be silly, of course I didn't sing. That's besides the point.
Makanmania 2005 was plenty of fun. The 4 of us exchange students contributed almond jelly, which was also mentioned in the article.
Another popular food was almond longan, a typical dessert made with almond essence and the fruit longan. Because the weather in Singaporean is very hot, people eat this dessert to cool down, explained Denise Wong, an exchange student from Singapore, as she served bowls of the dessert to guests.
Hee. It was popular. Click here for the full article.
If you're curious to know, our almond jelly was from an ancient and secret recipe. To unearth this mysterious and elusive recipe, we had to venture into a hardly-frequented supermarket at the edge of Ithaca. The treasure was in fact hidden on the left-most aisle, 3 shelves from the bottom. Lo and Behold!
Right, that's cryptic enough yar? Whoever can guess correctly what I'm talking about, extra chocolates for you! Leave a comment if you think you know what it is :)
So when I left my last post, Cherlyn and I were actually busy reading up on research papers for our project-cum-presentation due today. It involved reading and digesting 4 articles and transforming it into a humongous poster (56 inches x 40 inches). I bet half of my classmates only understood half of what I said and the other half probably didn't know what I was saying half of the time. It's probably because of the slang. Besides that, we also spent the weekend shopping for Makanmania ingredients and going through many of the problems we might face serving almond jelly on a large-scale. But it was all resolved in the end so I'm glad. We all are.
It's my last 6 weeks at Cornell! Yikes!

No comments: